Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Mammogram Day.

Today I had my very first mammogram.  If you knew me, you'd understand my surprise that it all went very well.  I'm not one of those women that has very much on top.  I like how I look for the most part, but I'm small in the breast department.  That's why I never really believed that I could even get a mammogram.  Well, just so you know- it is possible!  Everything went well. I was pronounced "cancer-free".  Yay!  That's what one of my daughters said when I fb messaged her about my mammogram appointment.  I didn't think I had cancer, but just being there kind of gave me the willies.  You're there and you think- what if they find something?  The technician sent me to another room to wait after we got done with the mammogram.  Then, she called me back to have a redo of one side.  That made me worry just a little bit more, but I acted like I was just fine.  Then, after everything, she sent me to see the doctor.  Yikes!  No, it was ok.  He explained that I was fine, but that I needed to do a complete self-exam every month.  He made me feel a little nervous.  Nervous because he made it really seem like I could really get cancer one day.  He explained the results and demonstrated on himself how I should do a self-exam.  I really like that he seemed to care.  He could have just sent me on my way.  Instead, he talked about the importance of a monthly self-exam on my breasts.  So, guess what!  I'm going to listen to him.  I better listen.  If you are a woman and reading this, get a mammogram.  Do self-exams on your breasts.  Don't wait.  Be good to your body by taking care of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment